Thursday, January 30, 2014

1 Peter 5:7-8

Proverbs 31 Ministries Online Bible Study - Week 2


1 Peter 5:7-8

New International Version (NIV)
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.

When you cast in fishing, you throw the bait out as far as possible, there is definite effort in the action. So to CAST my anxiety means to get it as far away from me as I can.

And the best place to rid myself of my anxiety? Give it to God. Why? Because he LOVES me. And when I give it to Him, leave it with Him -- don't try to take it back. He can handle it, I can't... When I try to carry my worries, anxieties, troubles, etc. on my own, I am basically saying I don't trust God to help me. I need to humble myself and realize that God cares about me and He wants to help me. Even if my anxiety is brought about by my own sin, if I repent, and turn it over to God, He will forgive me and carry my burdens for me.

Be alert means to live purposefully. Be aware of my actions and how they are affecting me...and others. Of sober mind means to pay attention. When I am feeling weak or am too focused on my own troubles, that is when I am most vulnerable to the enemy's attacks. Lions prey on the weak, the sick, the stragglers... so to stay safe from the enemy who prowls around like a roaring lion, I need to be strong, healthy and surround myself with fellow believers.

I need support of fellow believers to help keep me safe from attacks. Let the lion roar, I am staying vigilant.

James 4:7

New International Version (NIV)
Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.


AMEN!!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes - Amen! Thanks for sharing your insights. Glad to be on this journey together.

    Billie (P31 OBS Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete